Sustainable living can save the earth as well as your wallet! Living simply and self- reliantly is the key. Most people tend to think that sustainability means cutting back to save. However, being green can save you green for your wallet!
It turns out that by making the most of what you already have, you have a great chance to save the world — as well as your wallet. Let’s take a look at some ways you can save:
1) Reduce your utility bills
- Try air drying your laundry to cut down on electricity. Your clothes will smell great!
- Turn off the lights when you leave the room.
- Skip the heat cycle on your dishwasher and air dry your dishes.
2) Find alternative ways to travel!
- Walking is always a healthy, inexpensive way to arrive at your destination. Get your heart rate up and watch your transportation expenses decline.
- Biking to work or school can also help out your wallet and your health!
- Taking the bus is an inexpensive, reliable mode of transportation, especially if your destination is too far to walk or bike. Check out BloomingtonTransit.com for bus schedules and fares in Bloomington!
3) Maintain a sustainable budget
- Try writing down every item you spend for a week to know where your money goes.
- Identify spending leaks you didn’t realize you had.
- For bigger ticket items, wait a few days before purchasing it. You may decide that you don’t really need it.
- Consider buying off-brand items.
- Look for Do-It-Yourself (DIY) projects to make as gifts for a friend or family member. Websites like Pinterest have a ton of DIY projects to help you up-cycle old items.
- Check out other great budgeting ideas on the FSA website!
4) Live locally
- Explore the destinations in your own backyard by visiting the local park, walking on the over 30 miles of recreational trails offered in Bloomington, or checking out the calendar of local events and festivals at VisitBloomington.com.
- Instead of buying your food, considering growing it! Visit Bloomington.in.gov for local community gardening opportunities.
- Check out the local library for a wide array of FREE classes, books, and movies available to you as a local resident.